Sunday, February 18, 2007

I Got A Compliment The Other Day

Someone told me how amazing it is that I am able to, not only live in a foreign country where everybody speaks a foreign language, but actually have a job here.

While I appreciate the good intent, let me tell you a bit about myself.

I've been in this country ten years. Ten years ago, I took a GRE test in English and scored in the 2100s. Three years ago, I took a Mensa test in English and passed. Two years ago, I started this blog in English and you guys are still reading me. But you know what's really neat? In the immigrant society, I am not by far the smartest or most accomplished.

We come from Europe and Asia. We were born and raised in families where education was a number one priority. Not sports, not popularity - education. We graduated from top schools in our countries. We came here because the American society rewards intelligence, skills and hard work. We write your software, teach at your universities and treat you when you get sick. We contribute to the society. We pay our taxes. We raise children who call themselves Americans. You may not believe it, but your ancestors used to be just like us. And don't you fucking dare ever patronize us and tell us how amazing it is that we can hold down a job!

I cannot believe I even have to explain this. Is this a Midwest thing, or is it the public opinion that has formed as a result of all the media hype about unwashed illegal immigrants flooding the US so they can be a drain on American economy? I don't know, but I don't like it.




In other news, the link to my friend's portfolio is finally working! If you like my new design and want her to do one for you, click on the link on my sidebar.

The Goldie has spoken at 8:05 PM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v