Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Feedback Is A Gift... Sorta

Sometimes I wonder.

You know all these writers, artists and such who never got anything but criticism during their lives, but went on to eternal fame after they were dead?

Well, I just realized, they were going about it all wrong. What did those writers do when the publishers said no to them? What did the proverbial Van Gogh do when his proverbial "Sunflowers" was ridiculed in every newspaper? They probably crawled into a corner and said nothing, the sissies. See, what they should have done was go back to the publisher or the paper, bring some trusty friends over, and stand under their window yelling something like this:

"Are you girls just mad because you are fatties?"

"this is the first time i ever read words on a page where i could actually hear wheezing -- OF COURSE THEY ARE FAT!"

"You people are mean nnd fat and have zits I bet. and smelly 'down theres' too."

"i get that people do not "get" or enjoy my blog or me personally but it is no coincidence that these such people are the ones who had sandwiches thrown at them in highschool, NOT MY FAULT."

"You guys suck so much that the rest of the world has ceased to suck because if we added your intense sucking to the general sucking pool, the planet would CEASE TO EXIST. Because it would get sucked into itself."

"do you all still live at home? in your parents basements, perhaps?"

And then, the miracle! The editor or whoever would instantly see the error of their ways, realize that "Sunflowers" or what have you is, in fact, a masterpiece, praise it to the heavens, and have a museum buy it for millions of dollars, franks or pounds.

And then he would join a gym and go on a diet, because you cannot criticize other people's work unless you're skinny.

No, seriously, I cannot believe that anyone can, even for a minute, think that this approach will ever work. Neither can I believe that an author of an award-winning blog, named best in Canada, would feel the need to get all defensive like this. A-list bloggers just don't do that. They're above it, normally. Here, let me show you. Dooce sucks. Dooce sucks. Dooce sucks.

See? Nothing happened. She does not care. And that's exactly the right attitude.

I had my doubts about Raymi's blog initially. I thought, I probably just don't get it 'cuz I'm too old. These doubts have now vanished.

To see the flying sandwiches in action, go to BlogLaughs and read the comments on this post.

The Goldie has spoken at 6:37 PM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v