Sunday, October 29, 2006

Beautiful People

All my life, I have spent around geeks.

I had interests that it was hard for normal kids to share; I read a lot; I spent three summers at a math camp, and I loved it. Plus, I was apparently beaten with the ugly stick a lot as a teenager.



In my late teens and early twenties, I finally got over the adolescent phase and started looking more like a human being. I dated, I partied, I drank. But the inner geek in me was hard to kill. I usually ended up with the same kind of people that I was. At parties, we talked about philosophy and the meaning of life. When we got really wasted, we'd recite symbolist poetry to each other. That's how I roll.



When we came to America, it only took me a couple of years to find my new circle of friends. Some of my friends here are Russian immigrants like myself; some still live in the same city where they were born and raised and went to school. But there is one thing we all share – our inner geekdom. It does not matter that my new friends grew up in a different country. We still had largely the same interests growing up.

Now at my new job, I've run into a bit of a challenge, because most people in my office look like this.





I have no idea how to relate. These people didn't just grow up in a different country than I did – it was more like on a different planet. They spent their free time doing whatever it is that beautiful people do for fun – I have no idea what that is, but I'm pretty sure I cannot relate to that. When they paid attention to the likes of me, it was only to make fun of our uncool looks and weird behavior.

It's like a different species.

I am really and truly puzzled. How do you interact with them? I have no idea how to even start a conversation.

ChinchillaBoy is relatively popular, so he may have some experience with the BPs in the future, but I cannot wait that long. I need it figured out now.

So, if any of you has ever belonged to the Beautiful People, or had a friend or a sibling who is one, please feel free to share.

The Goldie has spoken at 1:23 PM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v