Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Purpose. The Drive. The Indecision.

Our church is starting a class this Wednesday, called “The Purpose Driven Life Revisited”, and I cannot decide whether to join or not.

I have mixed feelings. I love our church to pieces, it really is the best fit for me. I have taken the original PDL class, so I have an idea about who will be in the group, and the group is awesome. We had some very interesting, thought-provoking discussions during the last class. I cannot speak too well about our priest – he’s one of the wisest people I know. It’s the book itself I cannot stand. It just rubs me the wrong way. I admit it has a lot of good ideas, but somehow the way they are presented irritates me to no end. In addition, there is, in my opinion, a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle marketing present in the book. Sometimes when I’m reading it, I feel like I’m talking to a salesman who is trying to sell me something that I already have. Talk about annoying!

Should I sign up? Will I get over my dislike of PDL and learn to see the good in it, or will I be the spiritual party-pooper? I’m thinking about giving it a try, especially since we’re told we will be studying another book at the same time, called “Deification as the Purpose of a Man’s Life”. I haven’t seen it yet, but the title sounds promising. Definitely not the name you would give to your book if you wanted twenty million copies of it sold!

I will keep you updated, my reader, whether you like it or not!

The Goldie has spoken at 1:33 PM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v