Friday, January 21, 2005

This Week’s Reads

While I haven’t read anything earth-shattering this week, there are a few things worth recommending.

Kids’ books – yes, this is very embarrassing! I got into I11’s books that he’s been assigned to read for his Language Arts, and I couldn’t put them down until I read them cover to cover! Both books are by Rodman Philbrick. The first one I read is called “The Last Book in the Universe”. The first two chapters left me genuinely unimpressed. I even told I11 that the book was a rip off “Fahrenheit 451” (except I couldn’t remember the exact temperature and kept saying “911… oops, wrong”). Two hours later, I walked into I11’s room and told him that I was taking my words back. It is a very good quality fantasy/sci-fi. The plot is completely unpredictable and intense. A lot of action in that book. I liked it so much I went and got another book of the same author. The second book is called “Freak the Mighty” and it is the author’s first book for the younger readers. I didn’t enjoy it as much as the other one, but it is still good and very sad. I’m going to check what other books this author has. Apparently he mainly writes for adults, not for the kids. Which is perfectly fine with me!

The December issue of the Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine – I got this magazine at I11’s magazine drive a year ago and I absolutely love it! It has short stories, medium-sized novels, and book reviews. Of course, most of what gets published aren’t exactly the genre’s masterpieces, but sometimes you stumble upon some real jewels. For me this week, it has been “Christmas in the Catskills”, a short story by Michael Libling. Good language, a plot worthy of a horror movie, a completely unexpected twist at the end, and a hint of a moral dilemma the main character is facing. The story ends in mid-air, making the reader think about it for days and wonder where the events might go from there. Highly recommended. Right now, I am in the middle of another publication from the same issue – “The Bad Hamburger”, by Matt Jarpe and Jonathan Andrew Sheen. It is a suspense novel with a sci/fi twist. I’m liking it so far.

“Boundaries” by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend – just got started on that one. It was recommended by an online friend. Apparently, this is some wise advice for wimps like me that cannot say “no” and are easily manipulated by feelings of guilt. I will let you know how it goes.

This is all so far… more to follow!

The Goldie has spoken at 5:44 PM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v