Saturday, January 22, 2005

This is the Sea of Blogs, and I’m Drowning!

Fortunately, the weather cooperated today (at least ten inches of snow, more to come down later), so I spent most of the day on the computer navigating through various blogs. The kids didn’t mind, as they were on their respective computers. At some point during the day one of their friends came over, used one of the computers for a few hours, and left. I hardly noticed. I was in Blogland.

The first thing I will say, I truly didn’t know what I was walking into when I decided to start my own blog a week ago! I mean, there are so many of them out there, and everybody’s so good at it, and they all somehow know each other and are linked into an enormous network, and oh by the way, all subjects that I’d been planning to blog on are already taken! Talk about intimidating! This reminds me of the day when I made my first post on my first forum five years ago – back then, I hadn’t known what I walked into, either! On the bright side, it all worked out well – I made new friends, and I even made a sort of a name for myself, and then we all got tired of the forum and left, and I’m not sure what’s been going on with the forum since. But we still stay in touch, which is I guess a good thing. I know I’ll be able to work through this one, too.

The most difficult thing that I’ve noticed so far is, you and your blog both have to fall into a certain category. It can be a right-wing blog. Or it can be a dem blog. Or a Mommy blog. It can be humorous, it can be a discussion-starter, it can have comments on the news, or book reviews, or movie reviews. It can be a parenting blog, or an Evangelical Christian blog. But it cannot be all of these things at once. Which really puzzles me, because I cannot choose just one category and stick to it. First of all, I want to talk about everything, the chatterbox that I am. And next, even though in real life I do indeed, more or less, belong to certain groups, I cannot really speak on behalf of any single one. Take, for example, the rep-dem dichotomy. I’ve looked closely into both, and I am not impressed with either. If anybody knows of a party that has nothing in common with either the reps or the dems, please let me know so I can join. In fact, parenting is the only thing I do feel strongly about. I am very pro attachment parenting and very much opposed to Gary Ezzo and the like. Maybe I should make this an AP blog? Naw, not a good idea. Because I just know that one of these days I will post something like “watched the new South Park with the kids yesterday, great ep”, and the AP moms will freak out and kick me out of their blogring, or whatever the proper terminology is. So my tactics for now is to just randomly ramble and see where it takes me.

I did find some really cool blogs while navigating and I want to share these with you. Let me start with an old online friend of mine, a fellow AP Mom, currently located in Kyiv, Ukraine, TulipGirl. She is, apparently, a VIP of the blogworld, so without any false modesty I will tell you that we’ve known each other for over a year and she once let me translate one of her articles into Russian. She has a very neat blog, too! From her site, I was able to link to a few more that caught my attention. I especially liked Jenn’s blog – very well done, consistent and thought-provoking. I bookmarked it and so should you. Somewhere on Tulip Girl’s page I found a link to ZeroBoss’s site – he’s hysterical! Make sure you check it out! And, of course, her husband has a blog of his own. While I am not 100% on the same page with him politically and theologically, I still consider him a worthy read. He’s witty, he’s funny, and you can always count on him to cover the latest Ukrainian news!

There are other neat blogs that I found, but I’ll tell you about them later as it’s past my bedtime. Good night, all.

The Goldie has spoken at 11:50 PM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v