Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Of Mice and Goldies

A few weeks ago, we discovered that we have mice. The nasty rodents got into my teachers' gifts and chewed on a box of chocolates.

This is the second time we've had mice in this house. Last time it happened, I got the cheapest mousetrap from Target. I quickly realized the error of my ways after the mousetrap actually worked. It was not a pretty sight. Mouse brains everywhere.

We caught two mice, back then. That inspired my Mom to tell my children, then 8 and 5, a bedtime story. It went something like this:

"Once upon a time, there was a family of mice: Mom, Dad, and two kids. One day Dad went out to get food and never come back. The next day, Mom went out to look for Dad. She never came back, either. The children waited and waited for their parents to return, until they finally died of starvation. The end."

Any wonder why my children turned out the way they did?

Anyway, this time I decided not to repeat my mistakes of the past, and got a "humane mousetrap" on eBay. We put plenty of peanut butter in it, and it worked! Last night, Mr. Goldie went to check on it, and lo and behold, there was a mouse inside, running around and looking very much alive, although not happy.

The question now was, where do we let the mouse out?

Mr. Goldie suggested the backyard, but quickly realized that it wasn't a good idea.

My parents suggested that I walk to the corner and let the mouse out by the gas station/convenience store.

I, on the other hand, was thinking about doing something grand for the mouse, like driving fifty miles one way to find a perfect place for him, the way Muzik's friend once did with a skunk.

We were unable to come to an agreement, so we put the mouse in the garage and went to bed. Sure enough, in the morning, the perfect solution came to me just as I was getting ready to leave with the mouse in tow.

I drove five minutes down a side street until I came to a richie-rich neighborhood.

I let the mouse out there.

He's set for life now.

The Goldie has spoken at 9:44 AM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v