Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My New Idea: What Do You Think?

I have a new idea for this blog, but I am not sure if it is a good one, so I’d like some feedback.

As some of you know, a few weeks ago my 12yo was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. Actually, after discussing it with some of my professional psychologist friends, I’ve concluded that he probably has a full-blown Aspergers, and the doc just missed a symptom.

I was not surprised. In fact, for the last year or so, I had seen it coming. It took me eleven years to figure out what’s wrong with my kid, and another year to get him tested. If anything, I felt a relief as a lot of missing pieces fell into place.

Now I had to bring the news to I12’s school, and have them make accommodations according to the new diagnosis. He is a very bright kid (or so I’m told), but he’s been struggling at school lately.

The first part of my assignment went well. I brought the report to school, and had a meeting with the teachers. However, I am still unclear on the accommodations part, and am still in the process of doing research on this. I am trying to be very careful, and to make sure that the new arrangements will allow I12 to utilize his potential to the full, not just make his grades go up. (Although I wouldn’t mind for the grades to go up, I do not see it as the ultimate goal of all this).

Yes I12 is a very odd and difficult kid. He is also a very smart and talented kid. He realizes this, and wants to achieve a lot on his life. I want the same thing for him, not because I want to be able to brag to my neighbors and relatives, but because I want him to have a happy and fulfilled life.

Getting him into therapy that is appropriate for him is another challenge. It’s one thing going to just any psych that would agree to take us even if my husband never shows up, and only go through the motions because the school has told us to. It is completely another to find a person that specializes in this particular disorder; has good reviews; is available; and will take my insurance. Once I find such a person, there's the job of doing my part at home to make the therapy work.

During the last year, I’ve done a lot of reading and arguing and documenting and going to war for my kid. I am quite frankly amazed at how hard even the most simple things have proved to be, such as, getting I12 tested. That was a battle in itself.

I have accumulated a lot of experience, links, and references that I will be more than happy to share. I’m pretty positive that there are many parents of Aspies out there, trying to reinvent the wheel, like myself. I’d be glad to share with them what I have found. On the other hand, I am also positive that a lot of parents out there have been dealing with this issue for many years, and know a lot more than I do. I would be extremely grateful if I could learn from them. Maybe we could form a blogring or something (although there probably already is one).

My question to my audience is, do you think that's a good idea? If I share my findings here, will they be of help to anyone, or will I share all that personal information for nothing? Will my information be of any value to anyone, or does everyone else already know all this stuff? Please feel free to comment and share your opinion.

The Goldie has spoken at 12:06 PM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v