Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sad News

We found out yesterday that my Mom's aunt had passed away last Thursday. It was time; Auntie Anya was in her 80s and could hardly recognize her own family members or remember what day it was. She is in a better place now, no doubt. She will be missed greatly.

Auntie Anya helped raise my Mom, and then later me. I stayed at her apartment a lot in my college years; she gave me a key as soon as I moved to St-Pete. She was an incredibly interesting person with an amazing life. I mention her in my 99 things. She's the one that ran away when her home village was occupied in 1942, and ended up being sent to Germany as slave labor to work on a farm. She came back in '45, narrowly escaping the Soviet labor camps. She was very social, and had many friends. She was always willing to help people in need, sometimes complete strangers. We are proud to be related to her. May she rest in peace.

The Goldie has spoken at 5:03 PM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v