Wednesday, March 16, 2005

And I thought my kids had it bad

Found this on Anomalous Noodge (great site, BTW – thanks Muzik for making it your mystery blog for today!)

William Poole, a high school junior from Kentucky, was taken into custody and charged with threatening to commit second-degree-felony terrorism for writing a story about a horde of zombies who wreak havoc in a school. It seems the boy's grandparents had been reading his journal, found a story he'd been writing for English class and promptly turned him in. According to a police detective, "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function, it's a felony in the state of Kentucky." Based on that kind of reasoning, a judge raised Poole's bond from $1,000 to $5,000 after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.


Oh my goodness. Where do I begin?

The grandparents get all worked up because their grandson wrote a horror story that they had no business reading in the first place, as it was in his personal journal.

Instead of sending it to a publishing house of their choice, they turn it in to his school and expect the school to take action.

The school calls the police. Over a horror story. I know, I know… Columbine, zero-tolerance policies, you can’t be too cautious, and all the good stuff… but still!

The police takes the kid to jail. For writing fiction. No, wait. For terrorism. It’s the war on terror now. And, as you know, in the war on terror, any action is justified, even if it’s throwing a kid into jail for a zombie story he wrote.

I cannot believe there can be so many responsible adults in one city all acting like complete a-holes. I sure hope the grandparents paid the bail.

I also hope the kid won’t stop writing because of this incident. I suggest he rewrite the zombie story, so that it takes place in his grandparents’ house. Since it won’t involve a school or function, it’ll be perfectly legal.

That’s what I would do.

The Goldie has spoken at 2:38 PM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v