Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pro-lifish.

I have been reading a lot of Internet Monk lately. Open-minded, thought-provoking, and highly recommended reading, regardless of what your views are.

This post and the comments, however, gave me pause, specifically in this part:

"This Catholic apologist felt that Protestants are mistaken to say they can prove their pro-life position solely from reading the Bible.
...
Catholic doctrine and ethical teaching comes out of the Catholic view of authority: scripture, tradition and magisterium. All work together to arrive at the conclusion."

And later in the comments:

"I know of no denomination that is pro-abortion for example. Whether by scripture or tradition, we agree on life."

"there isn’t an open and shut case against abortion derived solely from the pages of Scripture. However, when you consider that Christian tradition has always been firmly against it, the case becomes stronger."

etc etc.

Which, to me, says that the pro-life movement has no scientific proof that life begins at conception. This belief appears to be based on faith and faith alone. This actually came as a surprise to me. Having interacted with the pro-life movement since the late 80s, from their sheer confidence I was sure they had volumes of medical evidence to back their claims. Turns out, they do not?

Which leads me to the question, if this is a matter of personal faith, then what the hell are they doing trying to make it a criminal offense, punishable by law?

How is this different from turning any other staple of any other religion into a criminal offense?

How'd you like to go to jail for not praying towards Mecca five times a day? to be fined for eating pork? Sheesh. Keep your faith to yourself.

I turned away from the pro-life movement in the early 2000's, right after I realized that it has an action plan. And that, on that action plan, outlawing birth control comes right after overturning Roe v. Wade. I cannot handle more than two kids, so I was like, oh fuck no. I'm outta here. I'm too partial to my IUD.

The post and comments on IM are a huge step towards validating my decision in my eyes. I hadn't realized how right I was.

Church and state, these two don't mix.

PS: This was the news story that made me drop the pro-life movement like it was going out of style. Thanks, Neil Noesen, you were a huge help.

PPS: Why am I even writing about this? Normally I wouldn't touch this subject with a ten-meter pole. Guess I had to post the link because I was impressed by the pro-life folks themselves basically admitting they don't have a case. Wow.

The Goldie has spoken at 3:55 PM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v