Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Giving People AIDS to Cure Cancer

It's 1AM here and I cannot sleep. This may be the first and last time that I get my hands on an interesting piece of news before the remaining six billion of the population do, so figured I'd post it.

ABC News Online has good news for us. Seems like the scientists have found a cure for cancer.

The bad news is you cure people's cancer by infecting them with HIV.

The scientists behind the new method swear it's safe:

Ms Withers-Ward says the treatment would not lead to HIV infections in patients as the virus is stripped of its AIDS-causing parts.
"We have taken out about 80 per cent of the HIV sequences and in that way, disabled the virus," she said.
"What we've left is the little bits that are necessary to get the DNA into the cell and then get it into the cell DNA."

Still, it creeps me out. I don't know if I'd try it. Giving a person AIDS to cure cancer? It's almost like shooting him to put him out of his misery and calling that a cure. Okay, okay, I know it's 80% safe, but somehow in my book, it still is too risky. I'm not saying that it might not work. I'm just saying that it sounds too creepy and unusual to my sleep-deprived mind.

Interesting, though. The way things work. Can you believe that?

I'll think of it later. I'll go and try to sleep now.

The Goldie has spoken at 12:47 AM


Technorati search

Powered by FeedBurner

Graphic Design by alla_v